RE: C-Ret: cua and icicles

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-Ret: cua and icicles
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 15:53:19 -0700

> Yes, maybe I went to far but I felt I have to clear up some
> misunderstandings in what you wrote. User will have to deal with it.
>
> But this information was mainly meant for you. You can detect this bad
> situation and tell the user how to overcome it. If you are want to
> grab a key that is used by a major component in Emacs that many users
> are using I think that helps quite a bit.

I give up.  Fuggedabowdit.

> > I tried to explain the interaction among the keymaps etc.
>
> Yes, but you did not get it right. Your description that
> cua-mode "is just one mode among a multitude of possible modes"
> is highly misleading. It is an emulation mode and that is very
> important.

That was not a description of cua mode.
It was an expression of _my opinion_:

 "To me, it is just one mode among a multitude of possible modes."
  ^^^^^

Am I not being clear, or are you willfully misreading and snipping the meaning
out of what I write?

We apparently agree on one thing, however.  As I said:

 "You feel that CUA mode is extremely important, and everything
  in Emacs should bend over backwards to cater to CUA mode."

That extreme importance (for you) follows, you say, from CUA mode being an
emulation mode.

We can perhaps agree to disagree about the extreme importance.  That is a matter
of _opinion_.  It is not that you or I "did not get it right" or is
"misunderstanding".  It is that we have different opinions.  Please do not
confuse making your opinion known with helping someone "get it right".

> However the rectangle thing is not part of the emulation of CUA and
> should IMO not be in that keymap. It should rather be a separate,
> normal minor mode.

Tell it to emacs-dev.