Re: How to change Viper-Mode behavior ?

From: ahei
Subject: Re: How to change Viper-Mode behavior ?
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 10:19:26 +0800

I agree this, and I want to know, why you want to use Viper mode? Delete text more conveniently. BTW viper-mode already support up down left right.

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 4:53 AM, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Alessandro Stamatto
<astamatto@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Viper-Mode in emacs. And i don't like the movement keys of Vi... I
> would like to do those simple customizations in it:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> change the movement keys to:   i -> up , j -> left, k -> down , l -> right .
> change the 'Esc' key behavior to:  If in Command Mode change to Insert Mode
> as if i had pressed the 'i' key.
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Is there an easy way to do those customizations?  If yes, how can i do it?

I think those movement keys in vi where chosen to optimize speed.
Normally you rest your fingers on those keys (i.e h j k l).

I don't think it takes long to get use to them.

And there are other places outside Emacs where it is useful to know
those keys (I use some of it in gmail for example).

Do you really want to change the keys?

If you do then just look for the keymaps where they are bound. Maybe
some of it is hardcoded because the request to be able to move them is
quite weak.