Re: Yanking in isearch mode

From: Ken Hori
Subject: Re: Yanking in isearch mode
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 22:29:16 -0700

> Doesn't anyone else thing it's strange to change the keybinding (C-y /
> M-y) for something so basic and frequently used?

Yes, very strange indeed. I asked my colleagues around today, and
guess what: No one found the default behavior of \C-y (yank-line)
in isearch useful. It is counter-intuitive, inconsistent with the
global keymap, and confusing to the beginners. I happen to share
the same opinion and find it unworthy to steal \C-y for something
most, if not all, find needless.  I am all for opting it out of
isearch or doing the C-y <-> M-y switch.

Until it's done, you can override it with:

(define-key isearch-mode-map "\C-y" 'isearch-yank-kill)
;; If you like more:
;(define-key isearch-mode-map "\C-p" 'isearch-repeat-backward)
;(define-key isearch-mode-map "\C-n" 'isearch-repeat-forward)
;(define-key isearch-mode-map "\C-h" 'isearch-del-char)