set window width

From: Dimitrios Apostolou
Subject: set window width
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 23:17:27 +0300 (EEST)

Hello list,

when working with emacs I usually have one (or more) frame maximised and I split vertically in as many windows as possible. However after splitting I want to set width to exactly 80 columns, so that I can split as many fit.

I've been searching for some M-x set-window-width function but I can't find anything. The closer solution I've found is

  M-x set-variable window-min-width 80

and then drag the fringe with the mouse. That's suboptimal imho. Any better ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Dimitris