Re: How to setup w3m-el as a default browser on GNU system?

From: Pedro Insua
Subject: Re: How to setup w3m-el as a default browser on GNU system?
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:52:38 +0200

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:35:42AM +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
> Pedro Insua <pedroinsua@gmail.com> writes:

> >> Yes, and I can open from an org file a http://path/some.html within
> >> Emacs with w3m-el, but can't open a file file://path/some.html in the
> >> same way because in the letter case I get opened xterm and on it w3m
> >> instead to get the file opened within Emacs with w3m-el. :(
> >>
> >   Well.. the 'trick' is in configure: org-file-apps
>
> I was tried to configure it already but without any success.
> I have now in my .emacs file:
>  '(org-file-apps (quote ((auto-mode . emacs) ("\\.x?html?\\'" . default)
>  ("\\.pdf\\'" . default))))
>
> so the default browser is: w3m (not Emacs-w3m).
> In the org-file-apps customization buffer there is a Value Menu for
> Exstension: \.x?html?\'. In this menu there are the options:
> 0 = Visit with Emacs
> 1 = Use default
> 2 = Use the system command
> 3 = Command
> 4 = Lisp form
>
> When choosed 0 the link file://path/some.html was opened within Emacs
> buffer for editing and not for viewing.
> When choosed 1 the abowe mentioned link was opened in an xterm with w3m.
> Options 2 and 3 was tried by me but without any success. Say I was tried
> as Command 'w3m-browse-url' but get the same as with option 1.
> In the case of option 4 I dont' know how could I configure Emacs to use
> Emacs-w3m to open such a link.
>
> Any advices?

  Hi again! I think i've get the solution!! xD

  Well, the first, set w3m as default browser of Emacs:

     '(browse-url-browser-function (quote w3m))

  Then, set org-file-apps to use the default browser:

      (add-to-list 'org-file-apps '("\\.x?html?\\'" browse-url file))

  This work for me... bye!

--
Porqué loitar e matar, se podes amar e sonhar

/"\
\ /  CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII - CONTRA MAIL HTML
 X   ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
/ \