Re: Scrolling text erases the search highlight

From: Gabriel TEIXEIRA
Subject: Re: Scrolling text erases the search highlight
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 15:54:35 +0200

On 13/07/2010 15:38, Deniz Dogan wrote:
2010/7/13 Gabriel TEIXEIRA<gabriel_teixeira@sdesigns.eu>:
On 13/07/2010 09:14, Deniz Dogan wrote:

2010/7/12 Qiang Guo<mcknight0219@gmail.com>:

You may want to check variable 'isearch-allow-scroll'

This is a good suggestion. But you may also want to know about "M-s o".

M-s o runs the command occur, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
function in `replace.el'.

It is bound to M-s o.

(occur REGEXP&optional NLINES)

Show all lines in the current buffer containing a match for REGEXP.
This function can not handle matches that span more than one line.

Thanks for the answers and sorry for the multiple messages, the M-s o is

very useful, but the isearch-allow-scroll doesn't work very well with me. It
will conserve the search if I do C-l or C-v, but won't if I use the mouse
scroll wheel or if I use the arrow keys to move the cursor (which are the
way I scroll the screen mostly). I want something that works similar to the
Linux man search, the vim or the gedit, that conserves the highlight as long
as the search is erased. Any other suggestions?

For what it's worth, scrolling using the mouse works fine using: GNU
Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of 2010-07-12 on 3249CTO

Yes, I'm using version 23.1.1. I couldn't realize that this could be the version of emacs. I will install a newer version to check it out. Hopefully won't break with my .emacs config file :)
Many many thanks for your help