Re: vc-dir and Bazaar

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: vc-dir and Bazaar
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 15:33:42 +0200

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 19:52:44 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
>> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 18:20:02 +0200
>>
>> Why "merge-news" instead of simply "merge"?  Is there a difference?
>
> The "merge-news" method merges recent changes from the current
> branch.  That is different from "merge".
>
> You can see the list of all methods in the commentary at the beginning
> of vc.el.
>
> That said, I agree that the message is confusingly technical,
> especially since these methods are not documented in the manual.
> Perhaps submit a bug report for that.

I decided it's not serious enough; after the doc string of vc-update
does use almost the same phrasing ("supports merging news"), even though
it's still somewhat cryptic.

>> > Yes, but more importantly, you can commit _all_ of the pending merges
>> > if you just don't mark any files.  That's what you should do most of
>> > the time anyway, this being a changeset-based VCS, right?
>>
>> Ah, thanks, I somehow overlooked this in the doc string.  That did what
>> I wanted; but after it executed, I got this message:
>> "vc-do-command: Running bzr status admin/nt/makedist.bat...FAILED
>> (status 3)" and the *vc-dir* buffer showed all the files as uncommitted
>> that it displayed before I had type `v'.  But when I refreshed the
>> buffer, it showed only the directories.  And when I tried to commit the
>> merged files from the command line, it said there were no changes to
>> commit.  So `v' worked in vc-dir despite the error message and the
>> non-updated display.
>
> The error message was for "bzr status", not for "bzr ci".  So the
> failed command was not the one which committed the merged files, it
> was the "bzr status" command run afterwards to show the results in the
> *vc-dir* buffer.
>
> The error message usually means that some other bzr command was
> running when "bzr status" was invoked.  You should be able to see what
> commands where run at what times in your ~/.bzr.log file.
>
>> Should I report a bug about that?
>
> Yes, I think so.

The file in the error message had been moved to another directory, and
this somehow confused Bzr:

0.437  check paths: [u'admin/nt/makedist.bat']
0.717  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/bzrlib/commands.py", line 853, in
exception_to_return_code
    return the_callable(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/bzrlib/commands.py", line 1055, in
run_bzr
    ret = run(*run_argv)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/bzrlib/commands.py", line 661, in
run_argv_aliases
    return self.run_direct(**all_cmd_args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/bzrlib/commands.py", line 665, in
run_direct
    return self._operation.run_simple(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/bzrlib/cleanup.py", line 122, in
run_simple
    self.cleanups, self.func, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/bzrlib/cleanup.py", line 156, in
_do_with_cleanups
    result = func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/bzrlib/commands.py", line 1070, in
ignore_pipe
    result = func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/bzrlib/builtins.py", line 326, in run
    show_pending=(not no_pending), verbose=verbose)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/bzrlib/status.py", line 160, in
show_tree_status
    raise errors.PathsDoNotExist(nonexistents)
PathsDoNotExist: Path(s) do not exist: admin/nt/makedist.bat

I guess this is a Bazaar problem and not a VC-dir or Emacs problem.  It
did not recur on my subsequent update, so I'll just leave it for now.

Steve Berman