Make a "general" Emacs configuration

From: Andrea Crotti
Subject: Make a "general" Emacs configuration
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 16:31:20 +0200

I feel that I have to change something in my emacs configuration, what I
would like to have is something similar to the linux kernel, where you
can disable enable things and they keep track of the dependencies.

Using many autoloads and hooks it should not be a problem of course but
I would like to make more modular.

But the first thing to do is to move out everything I don't develop.
For example all the packages that I pull from git, should not be in my
own git repository, but if I move them out then I need to download them
every time, and the version could be different.

I think that git submodule could be the way to go, BUT I would like to
keep the same version also, so I upgrade only once and I keep
consistency everywhere.

Reading now again the doc looks like it could work exactly like that
anyway, but I still have some troubles understanding the submodules...

Any example or idea is welcome...