Re: Make a "general" Emacs configuration

From: Andrea Crotti
Subject: Re: Make a "general" Emacs configuration
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 21:13:01 +0200

Gabriele Lanaro <gabriele.lanaro@gmail.com> writes:

> I haven't understood very well your question, anyway there's already a
> package manager for emacs, called ELPA,
> http://tromey.com/elpa/install.html
>
> A part from this I've found the best configuration/modularization work
> done in the emacs-starter-kit packages
> http://github.com/technomancy/emacs-starter-kit (it uses ELPA
> extensively).
>
> Hope it can help a bit...

Sure thanks, ELPA looks very interesting, but what happens if I want to
keep the same version everywhere?
Looks like it's downloading the last one..
And how often are the packages updated?

Actually the idea of forking/mirroring what I need (also cvs for example
as seen here)
http://issaris.blogspot.com/2005/11/cvs-to-git-and-back.html

and using submodules is more intriguing and flexible.
The only pain is automatic compilation and also not keeping around all
the .git directories configure and Makefiles.

It would be also automatic to propose some changes to those modules if I
can enhance them somehow.

Moreover I think that elisp is not so good for configuration, I think
something like yaml would be more suited.

(just for a nonsense example)
haskell: true
python: true
yasnippet: [haskell, python]