RE: Simple copy & paste problem

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Simple copy & paste problem
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:51:58 -0700

> This is probably very stupid but every time I step into it
> and it's very annoying.
>
> Supposing I want to copy something from Safari to emacs. So I
> - select and copy
> - select and kill the text I want to substitute
> - try to paste
>
> ARGH! Now the text I copied from safari is disappeared...
>
> A workardound is to delete first and then copy-paste.
> But is there a smarter way to solve this?
> Something like
> "if I copied something from the os keep it as first in the kill ring"?

When you report a problem, always mention your Emacs version.

If you are using a development version, then be aware that there is currently a
lot of change being made to the way selection (& copy & paste) behaves. There
are still problems that need to be fixed. Look at the bug list if you want to
see what problems are being discussed.