Re: Make a "general" Emacs configuration

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: Make a "general" Emacs configuration
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 12:33:45 -0400

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Andrea Crotti
<andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Well with git submodules is not a problem anyway, since it keeps track
>> of the version so everyone cloning the repo will have the same version
>> of submodules.
>
> But I have another problem now, whenever I do something (even just
> byte-compilation) inside a submodule I get this

> Submodule doxymacs contains untracked content
>
> which is a bit annoying.
> Then the changes are not automatically staged and you would have to
> commit explicitly, but still that "dirty" flag is not nice.

    $ cd path/to/submodule/root
    $ cat > .gitignore
    *.elc
    C-d

That should get rid of the untracked content in your submodule in the
case of byte compilation.

> Maybe is worth to mirror everything myself, so even if I want to modify
> something I can also push the changes, and the maybe send the patch to
> the original author.

If you're planning on modifying anything about the project, then the
accepted way to do this in git would be to set up your own fork of the
project to enable you to share patches and to update your own copy of
it.  Also, you'll need a commit at which to point your submodule and
if you're going to change the submodule there's no guarantee that the
original author will accept them so you'll need a central place to
keep those commits.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.