Re: Emacs and JDEE : opinions sought.

From: Jim Crossley
Subject: Re: Emacs and JDEE : opinions sought.
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 19:29:47 -0400

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> Could someone familiar wit Java advise me about the status of JDEE?

It's kinda dead, though I think Paul Landes is trying to revive it.

Pray for him. :)

> Is it usable?

Kinda

> How well integrated is it with Semantic for example for Java class
> method/member completion possibly using ac-source-semantic with
> auto-complete?

Kinda. Sorta.

> Basically, is it worth the effort of learning and using Emacs for
> Java?

No, probably not.  Not now.  It doesn't support 1.5 things like generics
and static imports.

> Any hints or tips with regard to Java development in Emacs much
> appreciated as I really want to stay from eclipse if at all possible.

Yeah, I hear you, brother.

I use Emacs for Java development, limping along mostly with JTags and
locate (mdfind on osx) and occasinally (but rarely) jdibug.  JTags does
most everything I ever counted on JDEE to do, so it may be enough for
you.

> I realise I could download it and try it but not being a seasoned Java
> programmes I feel I'm not really equipped to rate it.

Unless you *really* love Emacs and *really* hate Eclipse, you should use
Eclipse for Java development.

I should also mention malamar-mode, and he just committed some stuff
today, so perhaps it's coming along nicely.  I like the direction he's
heading, so check it out.

Good luck!
Jim