How to fontify region according to mode

From: Dan Davison
Subject: How to fontify region according to mode
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 13:14:02 -0400

I want to write a function to fontify a region according to a certain
mode, and I tried the following tactic (see function below):

- get the value of `font-lock-defaults' from a buffer in the target mode
  and bind it inside a let
- bind a bunch of other font-lock variable names to stop them being
  overwritten
- call `font-lock-set-defaults'
- call `font-lock-fontify-region'

It didn't seem to work. Could someone suggest how to alter this so that
it works, or is this approach fundamentally flawed?

(defun dan/font-lock-fontify-region (mode start end)
  (let ((font-lock-defaults
         (with-temp-buffer
           (funcall mode)
           font-lock-defaults))
        font-lock-keywords
        font-lock-keywords-only
        font-lock-keywords-case-fold-search
        font-lock-syntax-table
        font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function)
    (font-lock-set-defaults)
    (font-lock-fontify-region start end)))

I want the rest of the buffer to remain unaltered and, for now, I'm not
looking for a solution involving mumamo/multi-mode etc.

Thanks,

Dan