Re: How to fontify region according to mode

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: How to fontify region according to mode
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 14:08:36 -0400

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I want to write a function to fontify a region according to a certain
>> mode, and I tried the following tactic (see function below):
>>
>> - get the value of `font-lock-defaults' from a buffer in the target mode
>>  and bind it inside a let
>> - bind a bunch of other font-lock variable names to stop them being
>>  overwritten
>> - call `font-lock-set-defaults'
>> - call `font-lock-fontify-region'
>>
>> It didn't seem to work. Could someone suggest how to alter this so that
>> it works, or is this approach fundamentally flawed?
>>
>> (defun dan/font-lock-fontify-region (mode start end)
>>  (let ((font-lock-defaults
>>         (with-temp-buffer
>>           (funcall mode)
>>           font-lock-defaults))
>>        font-lock-keywords
>>        font-lock-keywords-only
>>        font-lock-keywords-case-fold-search
>>        font-lock-syntax-table
>>        font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function)
>>    (font-lock-set-defaults)
>>    (font-lock-fontify-region start end)))
>>

>> I want the rest of the buffer to remain unaltered and, for now, I'm not
>> looking for a solution involving mumamo/multi-mode etc.
>

> If you want to see how it works then look in mumamo.el. I think you
> will find the answers to your questions there. (But why do you want to
> reinvent the wheel? What is the purpose?)

Hi Lennart,

I was looking at mumamo.el earlier today, but it is 9,101 lines long, so
I would definitely appreciate some guidance. Note that I don't want
different regions to be subject to different major modes; I only want to
change the text properties in a region. That was why I was not using
mumamo and was attempting the simple approach above. I would certainly
consider mumamo if I wanted multiple major modes.

Dan