Re: More emacs instances

From: Andrea Crotti
Subject: Re: More emacs instances
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 01:20:08 +0200

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> I dont see how that is the power. You can clone multiple accounts with
> offlineimap.

Sure but I would finally like to concentrate all my mails in one and
organize things for subject, not origin.

> No you dont. The other clients offlineimap too from the original imap
> sources. You dont just clone or copy the maildir.
>
> I see with pop3 there might be an issue. But most providers do IMAP.

What I think I will do, already tried and it works is something like
this
- fetchmail fetches mails from my pop3 accounts
- pass them to procmail which has some rules that, for each possible
  account, write the mail in the correct imap folder

It works perfectly apparently, the only problem is that those mails I
get then when I use offlineimap again are not propagated to gmail.

> Let say you have 3 email accounts out there on the intertubes. Configure
> offlineimap to sync with a local maildir for each account and copy that
> config (.offlineimaprc) to each client. Each client does its OWN
> offlineimap. Well, thats how my setup works and it seems fine.
>
> Here is my .offlineimaprc to give you an idea

Yes thanks a lot I got that, but I'm not sure is what I want as written above.

> You want to leave it on their servers : its a failsafe then.

Maybe, but does it make sense that mails with personal and sensible data
are stored on a server which gives the service for free?
Another possibility is to keep a folder with more sensible stuff and
make those mails be removed automatically, don't know how yet...

It's not being paranoid trying to be cautious in my opinion.

> It would work but it attaches your gmail id you used to authenticate to
> the smtp server in the "from". Or it used to.

Ah ok never noticed..