Syntax Highlighting in Ruby only handles comments and quotes

From: eric_powell
Subject: Syntax Highlighting in Ruby only handles comments and quotes
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:10:07 -0700 (PDT)

I'm pretty new to emacs and really enjoy the syntax highlighting in CC mode
(C++) and cperl-mode, but when I'm coding in Ruby the only things that get
colored are quotes and comments.  Is this all that it's supposed to do?  No
function highlighting (e.g. 'def') or flow control (e.g. if, for, while)?

I have ruby-mode.el in my emacs dir and I'm pretty sure it's working because
I can do M-x ruby-mode.  I've also done M-x font-lock-mode, but that just
gets the comments and quotations.

Please note that I used cperl and ccmode on a different emacs install, so
maybe there's something else that I'm doing wrong on this install.

Also, I should mention that I'm using Xemacs on CygWin on Windows 7 64-bit,
not sure if that makes any difference.

Let me know if there is any other information I can provide to help debug if
in fact this is not the proper functioning.

Thanks in advance!  This community is one of the reasons i love emacs :)
-eric