bug in dired / dired-listing-switches

From: Allan Gottlieb
Subject: bug in dired / dired-listing-switches
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 21:13:02 -0400

I tried to experiment with --group-directories-first

I set dired-listing-switches to
"--group-directories-first -gGh"

This "works" but shows the following strange behavior

Although hitting s in the dired buffer correctly switches
the sorting between "by name" and "by date", the mode line
always says "by date".

I was going to "report-emacs-bug" but wondered if my setting of dired
listing switches is invalid.  For one thing it doesn't contain -l (-g
essentially gives that).  Should I be filing a bug?
This behavior occurs with emacs -Q

thanks,
allan