quoting a block of text with ">"

From: Stever
Subject: quoting a block of text with ">"
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:59:19 -0700

I can't seem to find this function in my version of emacs, but I assume
there is one. is there any function where I can highlight a block of text
and put a ">" in front of it. So something like:

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps
over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick
brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy
dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

- gets converted to -