emacs + synergy causing cut & paste hangs

From: Chris Newton
Subject: emacs + synergy causing cut & paste hangs
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 08:53:55 -0600

Greetings. Has anyone tried using emacs with frames on two X servers
and having synergy running on the same two X servers? This works well
for except for the X selection/C&P buffer. Emacs seems to fight with
synergy over it. I pretty much can't select in an emacs window on
server 1 and then paste in any other (emacs or non-emacs) window on
server 2. The paste action almost never completes, if it does it takes
well over 20 seconds. In addition, if I select in emacs (via keyboard
or mouse) on one server then paste in an emacs window (also via
keyboard or mouse) on another server emacs will pause and bring up the
busy mouse cursor. I can cancel that with C-g, but it doesn't want to
actually paste. I have to select something on the local server and
then go back and select what I want and then it will paste/yank from
the buffer. I've tried disabling the cut and paste synchronization in
synergy, but it is really buggy when it comes to parsing its own
config file. Also I've seen synergy not entirely work right without
emacs in the picture. I like the idea of synergy, just not the
implementation.

Emacs refuses to sync the selection between two X servers. One thing
I'd like to try is disabling the syncing of the selection in synergy
and doing it purely via emacs. However emacs refuses to ever
synchronize them. Does anyone know where I could start looking in the
code for X selection management? I'm hoping its not purely in the X
toolkit (gtk for me) code.

I'm using Emacs 23.2.1 on 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 (both machines). Its not
the Ubuntu build of emacs, rather my own, but its built with GTK.

Thank you!

Chris Newton