buffers "flash" (possibly related to elscreen)

From: Stephen T .
Subject: buffers "flash" (possibly related to elscreen)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 00:35:58 -0700

Hi, sorry if this is not entirely relevant for the list but I have a question that may be related to a package, elscreen.el, which may not be actively developed (last update Dec. 2007)... but I couldn't find another appropriate forum for this question so I thought I'd give it a shot here.

First, machine specs: I'm using a Mac OS X 10.5 [GNU Emacs 24.0.50.2 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple-appkit-949.54)] and Ubuntu Linux 8.04 [GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)]. On both machines and versions, when elscreen is enabled, emacs buffers will sometimes (but not always) flash/blink (not visible-bell) when I try to switch windows, call find-file, or find-buffer sometimes after doing any frame resizing (using set-frame-size or after I switch monitors and emacs frames automatically resize themselves). This has also happened after suspending (minimizing) the OS X GUI frame and then maximizing the frame again, but have not been able to reproduce it since. Once it starts doing this (flashing), it will continue to flash with every invocation of any of the functions listed above.

The problem doesn't sound specific to elscreen, but didn't had this experience before having used elscreen... the latest version confirmed to run elscreen is GNU Emacs 22.0.50 - is there anything might have changed between 22 and 23(4) that might induce this behavior? After this (flashing) starts, I've tried using M-x redraw-display, but this does not seem to fix the problem - the best way I've found to continue working is to create a new frame and kill the old one, which retains my buffers but kills all my window configurations. I wonder if this type of problem sounds familiar to anyone (for instance, working with registers and window configurations) and if there might be a workaround?

Thanks much!
Stephen