Re: S-tab translated to C-y on a mac?

From: Daniel Pittman
Subject: Re: S-tab translated to C-y on a mac?
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 00:22:44 +1100

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:
> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:
>
>> So, since I am not the only person who cares: I went looking, and found two
>> things:
>>
>> First, the translation is stored in a *copy* of `ns-alternatives-map',
>> accessible only between the `local-function-key-map' and its parent, injected
>> there during frame setup.
>>
>> This will remove the initial translation:
>>
>>   (define-key (keymap-parent local-function-key-map) [S-tab] nil)
>>
>> I don't see why that keymap is cloned, but whatever.
>>

>> Second, if I just add this my binding actually works:
>>
>>   (global-set-key [S-tab] #'tab-to-tab-stop)
>>
>> ...so, my problem is solved. :)
>
> Works like a charm, thanks a lot!
> Maybe should we write it on the devel list since I guess is a bug?

Actually, it looks to be working as unexpected, but designed: since I can bind
the keystroke in a regular keymap, this is all good.

The only oddity is that S-tab translates to C-y, which presumably has some
NeXTStep related history I don't know.  The remapping stuff is working as
designed, even if that is confusing.

...but feel free to point them at this discussion if you think it justifies a
bug report where I don't.  I am happy to answer questions from the developers
and all. :)

        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707