Howto avoid "Overwrite desktop file" question. (was Re: .emacs (load {us

From: Larry Evans
Subject: Howto avoid "Overwrite desktop file" question. (was Re: .emacs (load {user-init-file, custom-file} causes duplicate load of both
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 06:43:44 -0600

On 11/11/10 12:44, Larry Evans wrote:
> On 11/11/10 12:26, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> From: Larry Evans <cppljevans@suddenlink.net>
>>> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 05:22:39 -0600
>>>
>>> "Current desktop was not loaded from a file.  Overwrite this desktop file? "
>>>
>>> from function desktop-save in desktop.el.gz.  A trace in that function
>>> showed:
>>>
>>>   desktop-file-modtime
>>>
>>> was nil.  Further search in that file showed the only place that was
>>> set was in function desktop-read.  So, in .emacs I put:
>>>
>>>   (desktop-read)
>>>
>>> However, that didn't work.
>>
>> Didn't work how?
>>
>> Having `(desktop-read)' in your ~/.emacs _is_ the right way of
>> activating Desktop.
>>

> When exiting emacs, I still got the error message:
>
> "Current desktop was not loaded from a file.  Overwrite this desktop file? "
>
> However, as I mentioned in my last post, for some mysterious reason,
> I'm no longer getting this error.
>
> OK *maybe* I forgot to uncomment the (desktop-read) in my .emacs,
> but I thought I had.  Everything is working OK now.  Wait
> let me check since I'm now in emacs.  Exited emacs
> and the error message doesn't occur.
>
> Sorry for noise, but unless I'm imagining things, I did
> have the (desktop-read) and was getting the "not loaded from file"
> error message.
>
> -regards,
> Larry

It's happening again, only now, like it did at first, the
messages are displayed in a dialog box that has Question
in the title, then the line:

  Current desktop was not loaded from a file.  Overwrite this desktop file?

Followed by two buttons labeled "Yes" and "No".

I did not change any of my ~/.emacs or my ~/.emacs.d/init.el or
my ~/.xemacs/custom.el files.  It just started happening for some
mysterious reason.

The Nautilaus file browser show a ~/.emacs modification time of
Nov 11 08:25, confirming that no changes have been made to
that file as I suspected. I viewed the contents with gedit and
it showed:

  ;(desktop-read)

IOW, it was commented out.  So, I changed that to:

  (desktop-read)

and exited after pressing "Yes"  and reentered and then existed
and the same warning dialog appeared.  So I chose the "No" option,
then reentered and exited emacs.  The same warning dialog containing
"Overwrite desktop file" appeared.

How do I prevent this warning dialog from appearing each time
I exit emacs?

TIA.

-Larry

NOTE:

  Just as before, the *Messages* buffer shows all the init files
and the desktop being loaded:

Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
(source)...done
Note: file is write protected
Scanning declarations in IoDemo.hs... (  0%)
Sorting declarations in IoDemo.hs...done
Startup with window [1]
imenu--make-index-alist: No items suitable for an index found in this buffer

What's mysterious is the *Messages* indicates the desktop was
being loaded from the ~/.xemacs/custom.el file but not from the

  (desktop-read)

in the ~/.emacs file.  However, as noted, the (desktop-read)
was initially commented out.  The custom.el contains:

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
'(default-input-method "latin-1-prefix")
 '(desktop-save t)
 '(desktop-save-mode t)
 '(ecb-cedet-url "http://cedet.sourceforge.net/";)