Re: How to choose the right emacs on Ubuntu Linux

From: Tyler Smith
Subject: Re: How to choose the right emacs on Ubuntu Linux
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 09:35:38 -0500

Nerius Landys <nlandys@gmail.com> writes:

> I use emacs23-nox.  It runs in a terminal, but you get the
> antialiasing from the terminal it's running in.
> I actually find the full emacs GUI to be very annoying.

If you don't like the GUI features of the GTK emacs, you can turn them
off. I have the following in my .emacs:

(menu-bar-mode -1)
(fringe-mode 1)

and I've disabled the toolbar-mode and scroll-bar-mode using the
customize-variable stuff. This gets rid of all the GUI distractions, but
you can still use the alt/meta key, which is tricky to do with emacs-nox
(at least it was tricky to me last time I tried to do so).

Tyler