Re: Printing Problems

From: Mark Shroyer
Subject: Re: Printing Problems
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 15:39:52 -0500

On 9/4/2010 5:15 PM, John Burns wrote:
> I need help in getting my version of emacs - 22.3.1, under Windows 7,
> to print to my Samsung laser printer which is ported to USB001.
>
> Can anybody who has solved a problem utilizing a USB port or anyone
> in general who can explain what I need to do in layman’s terms to get
> the printer working, please respond to this email and help me out?  I
> have read the documentation but it just isn't clear to me.   I hit
> the print button at the top of the emacs page, but nothing happens.
> The mini-buffer tells me that the printing has been done.

Do the following:

1) Download and install GPL Ghostscript for Windows here:

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

2) Configure Emacs to use Ghostscript for PostScript printing:

> (setq
>   ps-lpr-command  "C:/Program Files/gs/gs8.64/bin/gswin32c.exe"
>   ps-lpr-switches '("-q" "-dNOPAUSE" "-dBATCH" "-sDEVICE=mswinpr2")
>   ps-printer-name t)

...adjusting the path name for the exact version of Ghostscript you've
installed, of course.  Note that I'm using an older version above; I
assume it'll work the same with Ghostscript 9.00, but I haven't tried it
myself.  8.64 is still available for download if in doubt.

Then you just need to use the ps-print-* commands instead of the print-*
commands, for instance M-x ps-print-buffer.  When you do, a Windows
print dialog should pop up, which you can use to select your printer and
modify print settings just like in most other Windows applications.

I hope this helps,

--
Mark Shroyer
http://markshroyer.com/contact/