Re: IRC server USER/PASS in ERC

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: IRC server USER/PASS in ERC
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 13:32:41 +0100

2010/12/2 Aidan Gauland <aidalgol@no8wireless.co.nz>:
> Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> I hope this information will be useful for you:
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/erc/Connecting.html
>
> I'm afraid not.  As far as I can tell, the password parameter to the
> `erc' function is for specifying the password for identifying to
> NickServ *after* connecting, not the password needed to make the
> server let you actually connect, which is what I need to do.

Where did you get that idea? I don't see any mentioning of NickServ in
that document.

I looked in the source code and found this:
"Use PASSWD as user password on the server."
The variable erc-session-password is then set to PASSWORD and then
when erc-login is called it sends the value as "PASS" to the server.

I'm not sure where erc-login is actually called as I'm not that
familiar with ERC myself but I definitely think the password parameter
is for authenticating to the IRC server.

--
Deniz Dogan