Re: About Emacs Modernisation Project

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: About Emacs Modernisation Project
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:11:56 -0000

Joseph Brenner <doom@kzsu.stanford.edu> writes:

> LanX <lanx.perl@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> I really enjoyed reading this blog on ejacs
>>
>> http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2008/11/ejacs-javascript-interpreter-for-emacs.html
>
> Thanks, I'd missed that one somehow.  Steve Yegge is always... interesting.
>
> Some minor points:
>
> I get the feeling he doesn't know about the pp.el package.
> (I don't think he would be impressed if he did.  He thinks
> there's something nasty about perl's Data::Dumper, too.)
>
> He doesn't understand the problem with cl.el.  Using it in your
> own code is indeed eminently "practical", but if you expect your
> code to be included in the emacs core, you'll run into fears
> born of the lack-of-encapsulation problem he talks about.

I have seen quite a few posts regarding the fact using 'cl will prevent
you from being able to include your packages in emacs, but I'm not sure
that is strictly true.

I think that the actual restriction is that packages cannot be included
in emacs that use 'cl at runtime. However, it seems that its OK to use
them provided they are loaded at compile time and not runtime i.e. used
with eval-when-compile.

I just did a grep in the emacs lisp directory for (require 'cl)
and got over 80 hits! It seems a number of standard emacs packages do
in fact use 'cl. I didn't verify they were all only loaded at compile
time and not run time.

Tim

P.S. this was current emacs from bzr repo

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au