Re: line-move-visual

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:12:07 -0000

Uday S Reddy <uDOTsDOTreddy@cs.bham.ac.uk> writes:

Hi Uday,

> In this particular instance, the customization needed is not a big
> deal: set line-move-visual to nil.  Almost everybody can do it.  But
> the time they had to spend in discovering that they needed to change
> it is what has been significant.

IMO, the first thing a new emacs user should learn is using the help
facilities.  So after seeing that `C-n' moved point not to the next
(logical) line as it always did should be a reflexive `C-h C-n':

,----[ C-h k C-n ]

`----

> (In fact, after this thread started, I began to wonder if VM might be
> vulnerable to the problem as well, and went and checked if there were
> calls to next-line anywhere.  There were three of them!)

As you can see in the docs above, `next-line' wasn't the right function
to call from lisp even before visual line movement.

> By the way, I think that the Emacs 23 visual-line-mode and word
> wrapping are a great addition to Emacs.  A civilized way of dealing
> with longlines has long been needed.  But the default setting of
> line-move-visual is an independent issue to that.

I agree with all of that.

Bye,
Tassilo