Re: line-move-visual

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:12:15 -0000

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Uday S Reddy <uDOTsDOTreddy@cs.bham.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Coupled with these real technical issues, there are the attitudinal
>> problems of holier-than-thou, smarter-than-thou and modern-than-thou
>> and what have you.
>
> Everybody is free to join the discussions on the Emacs developer lists.
> Those who choose not to help with the work don't get to criticize the
> results.  A common democratic principle.

Common democratic principal! What a load of crap.

Anyone can criticise any decision at any time. Whether the
maintainers want to take any notice is another matter.

For the record, I dislike the default of enabling move by visual lines
rather than logical ones. However, as it is trivial to revert behavior
back to the old default, this whole thread is largely poinless moaning
that is unlikely to change anything.

I do agree that if you are someone who is going to get upset about
changes that you don't agree with, then you should participate in the
devel discussions. If you don't want to, then you are just going to have
to suck it up and either accept it or use something else. Moaning about
it without putting in any effort to find out why the change was made and
what discussions took place indicates low emotional maturity and/or
someone who just wants to have a childish dummy spit because somehting
in their world changed without their permission.

Despite the fact I don't agree witht he change in default behavior, I
also want to make it very clear, I DO NOT support what has been
posted regarding the motivation, care and competancy of the emacs
developers and maintainers. To those of you who have done this I would
say that making all sorts of assumptions regarding the motivations and
considerations of the devel team without actually looking at what
discussions did take place is an unjustified and unwarranted attack on
those few people who put in the hard word to develop and maintain this
free software. It is a cheap dishonarable swipe. It lumps all the
developers together as if they are all in agreement regarding every
change made and ignores the effort put in to try and get the right
outcome and do the difficult job of balancing many different views.

If you don't like what they have done, either

   a) get on the devel list and present a case and maybe build support
   to have the default changed.,
   b) Make the trivial config change to restore the old behavior and
   move on
   C) Use an old version and maintain it yourself the way you want
   d) Give up and go away.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au