Re: line-move-visual

From: despen
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:12:57 -0000

>> The thinking behind the line-move-visual decision went something like
>> this.  If C-n moves by logical lines then the new users would be
>> confused.  If it moves by visual lines then the experienced users would
>> be bothered.  But we have a flag whereby experienced users can revert to
>> the old behavior.  The new users won't know enough to set a flag.  So,
>> let us go with the default that helps out the new users.  See this
>> thread for example:
>
> Choosing defaults is very difficult indeed.  You can never please
> everyone.  In this specific case, I'm the main guy to blame:

Good, then I have something to contribute to this thread.

Nice work and I support the idea of making this a default.

For me, it was easy to spot the new behavior, and I assumed I
would find a description and override in the NEWS file.

So far I've found no reason to do so.

I hope the complainers get a full refund of all the money they
paid for your hard work and nothing else.