Re: Which is the best implementation of LISP family of languages for rea

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Which is the best implementation of LISP family of languages for real world programming ?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:13:06 -0000

bolega <gnuist006@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 10, 2:51 pm, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
> wrote:
>> bolega <gnuist...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > Which is the best implementation of LISP family of languages for real
>> > world programming ?
>>
>> What's the real world?
>> What's real world programming?
>>
>> --
>> __Pascal Bourguignon__                    http://www.informatimago.com/
>
> I mean ordinary people, who may want to do things with their computers

Ah, ordinary people.  Then the answer is easy: iPhone and iPad.
That's computers for ordinary people, and very good at that!

> for scripting, tasks that python can do, possibly when a language is
> weak and another has library, then use some function from there even
> if it is compiled.

Notice that for a library to work with python, python requires that it
be put under a format acceptable to python.  In the lisp world, we
never imagined to be able to force people to adapt their libraries to
our needs and requimenets.

We have FFI, and we try very hard to work with all sort of random
libraries whatever their implementation language and quality, as if we
were mere C programs.  Sometimes with success, sometimes with failure.

That said, given that the requirements of lisp and of python are
similar, any library that is pythonified, can be integrated in the
lisp environments easily, automatically even, it should only require
some coding if it's not already done.

> A set of work around techniques will always be
> needed. Things that perl does,

Ie. being part of the problem.

Again, you could search cll archives about that (using Erik Naggum as
author this time).  Or you could use this:
http://xach.com/naggum/articles/

http://www.xach.com/naggum/articles/3163193555464012@naggum.no.html

> python does,

failing at meta programming.

> bash does

failing at anything but oneliner "scripts".

> things like java applets for various animations

What applets?  Have you ever seen a java applet?  Last time I saw one
it must have been fifteen years ago.

> possibly some unoptimized but fast protyping of parsers

Optimized parser generators were developed 30 years ago.  What's your
problem?

> to fix files or convert formats etc. a wide
> array of user tasks.

files to be fixed and format convertion are not user tasks.   They're
programming tasks, if they're not management problems in the first
place.  Therefore you need a programming language, to write programs,
to fix files, and to convert formats.