Re: Which is the best implementation of LISP family of languages for rea

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Which is the best implementation of LISP family of languages for real world programming ?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:13:51 -0000

"Antti \"Andy\" Ylikoski" <antti.ylikoski@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Is there anything in this old norvig book that makes it worth
>>> pursuing as a text ?
>>
>> Yes.
>>

> I agree with his criticism that the book is "old", mine stems from the
> year 1992.

That's not "old".  An old book is one that is falling in powder when
you're reading it.  Eg. the Quran manuscripts are "old".  But any book
since Gutenberg's invention is not old.  For a book, that is.

> I bought and studied the Russell-Norvig books on "Artificial
> Intelligence: A Modern Approach", ie. the 1th, 2nd (and in the future
> the 3rd edition), in order to learn modern AI theory.  They have
> discontinued the 3rd edition but I succeeded in ordering a copy
> anyway. I have read the 1st and the 2nd editions, but I have not yet
> received by mail the 3rd edition.
>
> But I only got the PAIP book to learn Common LISP, not in order to
> study modern AI.  This  is why I'm discussing this in the
> new:comp.lang.LISP newsgroup.
>
> Any good modern LISP textbooks out there?
>
> Can anyone point to me any other good modern textbooks on AI than the
> 3rd edition of the Russell-Norvig book?  (Which is reputable.)

If we said it is the last AI book written using Lisp, would that make
it worth reading?    There's nothing newer in AI!   :-)