Re: line-move-visual

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:14:18 -0000

> I think keyboard macros are a potential source of problems.  Unless I'm
> missing somehting, a macro recorded while line-move-visual is enabled
> and then playedback when it is not could easily exhibit different
> behavior.

A keyboard macro only records the keys you hit.  So, not only the above
will do something odd, but if you record a keyboard macro in your foo.el
buffer and then play it back in a Dired buffer ... better make backups first.

> However, to what extent this potential issue would actually arise in
> reality is questionable. For one thing, most users are unlikely to be
> setting/unsetting line-move-visual frequently. Also, the same issue can

The problem with line-move-visual and keyboard macros, is that if you
record your macro on a piece of that text that fits just fine without
line-wrapping, and then play it somewhere where lines are wrapped, you
may find your macro doesn't do what you wanted any more.  In itself,
this is no big deal, but it's easy for people to forget (or to not know)
about this detail because line-movement has been "mostly logical" for
many years.

        Stefan