Re: No syntax highlighting in python mode

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: No syntax highlighting in python mode
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:07:42 -0000

On 2010-05-10, Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> wrote:
> I'm using GNU Emacs 23.1.1 on Slackware linux 13.0 32-bit.
> Syntax highlighting does not work. The only thing highlighted are
> strings. Not even function definitions.
>
> I've tried add-hook with
> (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration
>   '((python-mode . 3)))
>
> I've started emacs with a python file and --debug-init
> with no messages that suggest any type of error.
>
> c-h, v font-lock-maximum-decoration gives me
> [no match]
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. Other programming
> modes work fine. Other python mode functions appear to
> work as expected.
  Hmm! See
        http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PythonMode
        where is says:
        """
        Emacs post version 21 has its own python mode (python.el). This is
        enabled by default for .py files so you don?t have to add anything to
        your InitFile to use it.
        """
  I believe the statement above is incorrect. I had to use the
        require form - I.E. (require 'python) to activate the syntax
        highlighting.
        cheers
--
Tim