Re: 'initial-major-mode interaction with 'major-mode

From: Lars Wessman
Subject: Re: 'initial-major-mode interaction with 'major-mode
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:09:03 -0000

On May 18, 5:51 pm, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > Starting with 23.2, we get warned that 'default-major-mode is
> > "obsolete" and that we should use 'text-mode instead when byte
> > compiling .emacs. The only problem is that
>
> default-major-mode was a weird alias for (default-value 'major-mode).
> So (setq default-major-mode <foo>) is the same as
> (setq-default major-mode <foo>).
>
>         Stefan

Thanks Stefan. Have you tested this on your machine (alternating
between default-major-mode and major-mode)? After reading your message
I tried using major-mode again and *scratch* opens up in Fundamental
mode. I switch it back to default-major-mode and *scratch* opens up in
lisp-interaction-mode as specified in 'initial-major-mode.

I'm noticing a difference in behavior between using 'default-major-
mode and 'major-mode, and I'm not hallucinating it. Is it possible
that some other setting is affecting the behavior of one or the other?