Re: capturing user input for program run in Emacs?

From: despen
Subject: Re: capturing user input for program run in Emacs?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:16:35 -0000

patrol <patrol_boat@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> c:\cprograms>Initials
> Initials
>
> So then I do the input anyway (e.g., ABC30), press RET, then I get:
>
> Input your three initials (first, middle, and last) and your age:
> Greetings A.B.C. Next year your age will be 31.
>
> So, I guess it's kind of working, but the user input part is still
> messed up. Incidentally, the program works fine from the console
> (command) prompt, but I'd like to be able to run it from within Emacs,
> too. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

M- !

is not designed for interactive input.

M-x shell seems to be having problems knowing when to flush it's
buffers, I don't know, it's been years since I've run Emacs under
Windows.

My advice is that it's best to do your testing using your development
Makefile.  For example:

all:  Initial.test

Initial: Initial.c
         cc Initial.c -o Initial

Initial.test: Initial
         echo "ABC30" | ./Initial

Some of the above assumes you have Cygwin or something similar
installed.