Re: character encoding confusion

From: patrol
Subject: Re: character encoding confusion
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:17:49 -0000

On Jul 7, 6:37 pm, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:

> Remember that C only deals with integer.  There is no character type in C.

I thought there was a char data type. Well, not exactly sure the
relevence of that...

> So, what happens when you call: printf("%c",176); ?

Well as I said in my post, I get a shaded square. But printf("%c",
248) yields the degree sign. But like I said, under Latin-1 and UTF-8,
176 is the degree sign, not 248.

> Have a look at setlocale, LC_ALL, etc, and libiconv.

I don't have any experience with this, but I did printf("%d", LC_ALL),
which returned 0. Don't know what that means, but I'm not sure why
locale settings should matter. Aren't Latin-1 and UTF-8 universal
encodings? If a file is encoded in Latin-1, wouldn't the degree sign
map to 176 regardless of locale?