Re: character encoding confusion

From: patrol
Subject: Re: character encoding confusion
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:17:57 -0000

On Jul 7, 9:38 pm, John Bokma <j...@castleamber.com> wrote:

> Like Pascal wrote ASCII is 7 bit (0..127 decimal) and there are various
> extensions ("code pages"). It sounds to me you're running your program
> in a DOS box? If so the current code page, most likely 437 [1], of the DOS
> box shows a shaded box for 176.
>
> [1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codepage_437

Thanks. That was helpful. I'm running Windows 7, and I found out that
it's using code page 850, which, like 437, maps degree to 248 and the
light shaded box to 176. I think I'm beginning to understand what's
going on. Emacs is indeed encoding the file in Latin-1, but when it
comes to the statement printf("%c", 248), it doesn't matter how the
file itself is encoded; what matters is how the computer interprets
this statement. And how it interprets this statement depends on the
codepage that the operating system is using. Thanks!

> John Bokma                                                               j3b
>
> Hacking & Hiking in Mexico -  http://johnbokma.com/http://castleamber.com/-
> Perl & Python Development- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like fun!