Re: character encoding confusion

From: patrol
Subject: Re: character encoding confusion
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:17:58 -0000

On Jul 8, 3:32 am, Tim X <t...@nospam.dev.null> wrote:

> There has been a lot of chnage in emacs encoding and there are a number
> of possibilities.
>
> 1. What version of emacs?

The latest stable release, 23.2

> 2. Can you clarify what you mean by you created a program in C that
> requires the degree symbol. Do you mean it needs that character in the
> source code, as standard input or as a value in an input file? Are you
> running the program inside emacs or are you generating datafiles for the
> program to consume etc.

It's just a temperature table that I'm printing, so I need to print
"degree symbol"F. My code for that was printf("%cF", 176), which gave
me "shaded box"F.

> 3. Depending on how this is all interacting, your OS locale settings,
> whether your running in GUI mode under X or within an xterm or the
> console can all be relevant.

Yes, I think I understand the problem better now (see response to
John) and I agree that the OS locale settings are relevant. Thank you.