Re: Couple of questions

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Couple of questions
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:19:37 -0000

On Jul 19, 6:10 pm, justareader <kannan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am emacs user in Microsoft Windows environment and I am trying to
> find out how to accomplish the following two things in emacs.
>
> First:
> -------
> I use ido with following settings.
> ;;in the .emacs
> (require 'ido)
> (ido-mode t)
> (setq ido-enable-flex-matching t) ;; enable fuzzy matching
>
> The above works great for most of the scenarios except when I try to
> navigate to a UNC share. Ido does not allow me to navigate to a
> network share. Whenever I try //, it puts me on the root directory of
> the drive. For eg. if I am in C:\foo\bar directory and I type //, it
> puts me in C:/.
>
> How do I navigate to an UNC share or find a file / visit a file from
> an UNC share?
>
> Second:
> -----------
> If I am editing a file in emacs and the same file was modified by an
> external program, is there a way emacs can alert me that the file is
> modified outside of emacs and give me an option to reload (if I want
> to)?

here's answer to your second question.

emacs will know if the file is modified outside of emacs. When you
edit the file like typing something, emacs will alert you and give you
options to overwrite or revert.

otherwise, you can always refresh by calling revert-buffer.

Don't know answer to your first questions. Maybe someone in
gnu.emacs.help know the answer.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/