Redefining functions and variables

From: Elena
Subject: Redefining functions and variables
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:21:17 -0000

Hello,

I've noticed that some user contributed packages redefine standard
functions or variables.

I wonder whether there is a way to catch such redefinitions whenever
they happen (which also would help when accidentally redefining
something) besides rewriting "defun", "defvar", ecc.

Moreover, I wonder whether redefining a function by means of "defun"
gets same results as assigning a new function to a symbol using
"fset".

Thanks.