Re: aplus works only for Xemacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: aplus works only for Xemacs
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:22:30 -0000

> I forgot to mention that if someone who knows the internals and subtle
> distinctions between gnu and X emacs would give me a few directions I
> could try to do some of the grunt work in unravelling exactly why X
> works but gnu doesn't (for aplus mode).

Glancing at aplus's Elisp code (not sure why there's lisp.0 and lisp.1
in the tarball), it seems to be fairly old.  In many ways it works only
by accident nowadays (even under XEmacs) and does a fair bit of nasty
things (i.e. it may/will change the way other things work in your
session).  So some of the work will involve adapting the code to current
features (e.g. make use of Unicode).

If someone wants to port it to Emacs, he should try it out under XEmacs
first, to see how it is supposed to behave, and then try it under Emacs
and report errors and discrepancies in the behavior, asking for help to
fix them (gnu.emacs.help would be a good place to ask for such help).

        Stefan