Re: Make a "general" Emacs configuration

From: rustom
Subject: Re: Make a "general" Emacs configuration
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:24:01 -0000

On Aug 10, 9:11 pm, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> Andrea Crotti <andrea.crott...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I feel that I have to change something in my emacs configuration, what I
> > would like to have is something similar to the linux kernel, where you
> > can disable enable things and they keep track of the dependencies.
>
> > Using many autoloads and hooks it should not be a problem of course but
> > I would like to make more modular.
>
> > But the first thing to do is to move out everything I don't develop.
> > For example all the packages that I pull from git, should not be in my
> > own git repository, but if I move them out then I need to download them
> > every time, and the version could be different.
>
> > I think that git submodule could be the way to go, BUT I would like to
> > keep the same version also, so I upgrade only once and I keep
> > consistency everywhere.
>
> > Reading now again the doc looks like it could work exactly like that
> > anyway, but I still have some troubles understanding the submodules...
>
> > Any example or idea is welcome...
>
> You could just rely on the work done by your linux distribution.  For
> example, gentoo automatically updates the site-start.el file (actually
> site-gentoo.el, loaded from site-start.el), when you install, update
> or remove packages from the app-emacs category.
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__                    http://www.informatimago.com/

Just wondering how much other linux-emacs-ers share this view?
My general impression (from hanging about this list) is that linux
distros nowadays screw up emacs so bad it turns out simpler and less
work to compile it from source.

But maybe its just ubuntu/debian that are screwing up...

Personally Ive been using a my-compiled linux for some time but this
causes its own issues because apt thinks I dont have emacs...