ediff problem

From: Bill
Subject: ediff problem
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:26:21 -0000

I use emacs 23.1 on a windows xp box. No matter what ediff method I
use (M-x ediff-buffers or the menu bar "Tools | Compare" etc) to
compare buffers (or files) I get the message "Searching for program:
no such file or directory, diff".

However in my ~/emacs-23.1/lisp/ directory there is a file called
diff.el along with diff-mode.el There is also ediff.el and 10 variants
such as ediff-hook.el

The emacs ediff manual says the required files are loaded upon need
but a (require 'diff) and (require 'ediff) in ~/.emacs can be used.
That made no difference for me.

Thanks in advance for any help. Bill