Re: C-u 1 inserts four "1" characters?

From: John Bokma
Subject: Re: C-u 1 inserts four "1" characters?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:28:06 -0000

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> Sean McAfee <eefacm@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I almost always specify command prefix arguments by holding down the
>> meta key while I type the argument digits.  But just now I tried
>> specifying the prefix by typing C-u followed by the digits, and as soon
>> as I typed the first digit, four copies of the digit were inserted into
>> my current buffer!
>>
>> Further experimentation showed that it didn't matter how many times I
>> type C-u prior to typing the first digit; four copies are always
>> inserted (not 16, 64, etc).  Also, if I type a hyphen following the C-u,
>> I get four hyphens in my buffer.
>>
>> Anyone have any idea why this could be happening?
>
> This is specified and documented that way.  C-u x is four xs.
>
> If you want a different number, then type it: C-u 10 x is ten xs.

>From what I understand Sean's complaint is that

C-u 3  gives 3333
C-u -  gives ----

So, if he tries

C-u 10 x

he gets

11110x

not

xxxxxxxxxx

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j.bokma
    Freelance Perl & Python Development: http://castleamber.com/