Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?

From: despen
Subject: Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:29:08 -0000

"Russ P." <russ.paielli@gmail.com> writes:

> As I explained a few days ago, I am trying to switch from XEmacs to
> Emacs so I can use Ensime (an Emacs-based IDE for Scala). I finally
> got my .emacs file debugged, but now I am finding that Emacs seems to
> be very slow when used remotely.
>
> When I work from home, I login from one Linux machine to another using
> ssh -X over a high-speed Internet connection, using my home machine as
> an X terminal for my work machine. I am using Emacs 23.2.1 on Red Hat.
> I am finding that opening a file or switching buffers by middle-
> clicking in dired or the buffer menu takes approximately 20-30
> seconds. With XEmacs it takes less than one second. I hope I am doing
> something wrong that can be corrected, because I'll grow old sitting
> around that long every time I open a file or switch buffers. Any
> suggestions? Thanks.

Did you file a bug report?

Emacs seems a little over-active in dired-mode.

I'm running at least one emacs remotely too.

Just hovering over a name in dired causes a packet storm.
My first guess was that it was tooltip-mode so I toggled that
off.

Dired is still doing something during hover though
in the mode line it tries to tell me which button to push.
Each time it does that, I get a mini-packet storm.
(I can see my packet monitor graph move up.)

Maybe someone knows how to kill over active help in Dired?