Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?

From: Thorsten Bonow
Subject: Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:29:12 -0000

    Russ> On Sep 20, 6:40 pm, des...@verizon.net wrote:

    >> Did you file a bug report?

    Russ> No. I don't know if this behavior is a bug or just poor performance.
    Russ> (Nor do I know, off hand, how to file a bug report.)

    Russ> This is disappointing. As far as I can tell, Emacs seems to be
    Russ> essentially unusable for remote usage. I can't believe I am the only
    Russ> one who has noticed this problem. Am I the only one who uses Emacs/
    Russ> XEmacs to work remotely over ssh -X?

I can't reproduce the problems. Start-up time of GNU Emacs 23.2.1 called with
"-Q" on my up to date remote Debian Unstable machine over ssh -X to my nearly
identical system over here is basically the same as GVim's; file opening and
buffer switching, typing and calling commands is all right. The menus are a
little bit sluggish and navigating in dired via mouse clicks really is
sloooow---close to 20 seconds. Keyboard navigation works fast, though.

    Russ> Russ P

Toto

--
Aaachen University of Technology -- now even further ahead...