Re: cheatsheets in emacs

From: rustom
Subject: Re: cheatsheets in emacs
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:29:31 -0000

On Sep 23, 9:01 am, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi Rustom,
>
> Maybe this helps (dunno)?http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryReferenceSheet
>
> Or maybe you are looking for an Emacs function that _generates_ cheat sheets?
> In that case, `C-h m' and `C-h b' come to mind.  Or if you want to know/print
> the bindings of a particular keymap (by name), `C-h M-k' from library
> help-fns+.el does that (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/help-fns%2b.el).

Drew:

I am not looking for a cheatsheet facility *for* emacs but using emacs
and (perhaps) orgmode.

Rather I want to maintain my own shell-scripting, sysadmining etc
notes -- small tricks, arcane command line parameters, obscure
commands etc that Ive invested a lot of google/man-pages on and that
Ive forgotten after a couple of weeks/months/years.

Glauber:
NIH is one of the reasons for asking this question. The requirement
seems simple and general enough that surely others have worked out
setups...

I dont want the ruby-cheat because:

1. It seems overkill to use (and have installed) ruby just to show
something which is almost entirely a plain-text file

Whats the problem with having ruby installed in an age of cheap TB
disks you may ask. One debian upgrade is currently costing me upto 6
hours of download (at worst) and I dont like to increase that with
excess cruft. Ruby is hardly the worst offender in a world of gnome,
ooffice, latex etc but still it is cruft if its only use is cheat.

2. The publicly available cheatsheets associated with ruby-cheat have
a strong rails-orientation -- not of use to me at the moment.  In any
case the idea of public cheat sheets is a bit questionable: Say theres
something like ls which has a hundred command line arguments of which
I want to remember 3.  Would you want to remember the same 3?

3. Writing org-mode is much more natural (to me) than writing yaml