Re: query replace

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: query replace
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:31:16 -0000

> When I do the same thing in Emacs, up to entering the search and
> replacement strings, it does nothing. What am I supposed to do to
> actually replace occurrences of the search string? Sorry if I am being
> dense, but it was so easy in XEmacs. Thanks.

BTW, while I have no idea why this happens on your home machine, let me
just point out that the way I recommend to do query&replace is:

C-s <thingtoreplace> M-% <newvalue> RET

The advantage being that you get to see interactively whether the search
pattern you provide is the right one.  Also you can do regexp
replacement with the same approach:

C-u C-s <thingtoreplace> M-% <newvalue> RET

        Stefan "the ireplace feature is still missing"