Re: Using the clipboard in development version of Emacs

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Using the clipboard in development version of Emacs
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:31:39 -0000

>> Hmm, sorry, I should have done more googling first.  I am getting the
>> impression that this is work-in-progress, rather than a stable change.
>
> Actually, while some of the implementation details may still change, the
> behavior you describe is the one sought after.  It may seem odd after
> all these years of using the other behavior, but it is the standard
> behavior of most other X applications: the PRIMARY selection and the
> CLIPBOARD are 2 separate entities: the PRIMARY is set via "mouse-1
> selection" and used via "mouse-2 paste", and the CLIPBOARD is set/used
> via things like C-k/C-y or C-x/C-v.
>
> Check NEWS (e.g. with C-h N) to see what's changed, and hence how to
> change back if you prefer the earlier behavior.

What I really want is a way to:

 (1) use `x-select-enable-primary = t' (so I can insert the x-primary
     using C-y in emacs -- mouse-only insertion is awful)

 (2) _but_ avoid the effect of C-y inserting whatever was last selected
     in emacs (because I use C-w in emacs)

 (3) _and_ keep the "selecting text in emacs via any method writes to
     x-primary" behavior

I.e., I like the fact that I can select text in emacs via the keyboard,
then insert in xterm using middle-button, but I don't want _emacs_ to
see the primary text.

The only way I think to do this is to make emacs ignore the x-primary if
it came from itself.

hmm, that shouldn't be tooooo hard...

-miles

--
Saa, shall we dance?  (from a dance-class advertisement)