Re: (cperl-mode) Problems with syntax highlighting after __DATA__ !

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: (cperl-mode) Problems with syntax highlighting after __DATA__ !
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:32:41 -0000

On 2010-10-19, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:
> SM> Yes, of course: short of using multiple major modes (which is something
> SM> Emacs doesn't support very well for now), there's not much highlighting
> SM> we can do other than assuming Perl syntax.
>
> I think it's not that bad.  __DATA__ is the same content (semantically)
> as a here-file, which perl-mode and cperl-mode can handle.

Are you sure?  I think if one would put the same breaks-CPerl content
inside a here-doc, CPerl would slow down as well.  AFAIK, here-docs
are still facified; the result is just ignored.

Hmm, on the other hand, if it is syntaxification which is slowed down,
then yes - it should not be a lot of problem to skip stuff after
__DATA__, since CPerl does syntaxification in one pass.

> It always ends with EOF or with another __X__ marker on a new line.

Eh???  AFAIK, it ends with EOF period.

  (The code to parse <DATA> may have some special logic to find your
   __X__; but it may look for whatever it wants as well...)

Yours,
Ilya